Tuesday, June 30, 2009

You've Got Mail

A discussion in my Advertising & Sales promotion class this evening led me to think long & hard about the types of mail I read...and what I end up recycling *note to readers: recycle your junk mail, please please please!!*

Working in this industry, I like to think I pay a little more attention to the direct mail pieces that come to my door...I know I certainly am more attentive when it comes to print, transit, and broadcast ads...but have I ever really given a lot of thought to the direct mail creatives that get delivered to my door day after day? What is going through my head when I receive the various offers & promotions? Looking at the stack of unopened mail sitting in our basket...the answer is clear: unless I'm uniquely interested in specific products, brands, or companies...these pieces just become clutter. But what causes me to open one envelope or trifold vs. another? Is it familiarity with the brand? Fancy packaging? Special offers and coupons...I am a sucker for discounts. What are we opening up and what are we shutting out? 

I bring this up for several reasons. One, I am an avid coupon shopper. Ridiculously so sometimes. I am the person that uses the CVS coupon that says $4 off when you spend $20 or more even if i didn't need to buy anything because I can't waste "free" money. I realize the inherent flaw in my logic...I know I'm a sucker... but I like coupons. I join customer loyalty programs. I like getting rewards points, discounts, coupons and special offers. But where do I draw the line? Is the thick cardstock and bright colors of the Lord & Taylor direct mailers as appealing as the coupon I know will be waiting inside for cardholders...? Why do I never, ever, ever bother opening up anything that attempts to look like it was handwritten. Surely something in one of those has to be worthwhile...but I'll never know, will I?

So, what are you opening up these days? Anything come in the mail lately that you just couldn't resist opening? I'm sure in your stack of mail, catalogs, bills, and other nonsense, just like mine, there are a few hidden buried treasures. 


No comments:

Post a Comment